Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

"Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from Him."
Psalm 127:3 (NIV)

I am truly blessed to be a husband and the father of three children. My family brings me such joy. They minister to me on a practical level and a spiritual level.

On a practical level, my wife and children bring a smile to my face every day. It is a delight to wake up to them in the morning and to come home to them at the end of the day. They are ready to greet me with a warm hug, a kiss, and a smile. My wife is eager to talk with me and my kids are always ready for me to read a book to them or to admire at the puzzle they made earlier that day. Our home is a place of sweet fellowship. I cherish this because I occasionally envision what life would be like without them, and I'm always saddened by what I see: an empty house, a lonely existence, and a melancholy attitude. So I'm thankful that I instead get to spend my days caring for and enjoying my family. Although it is tiring at times, I know that it is a blessed path.

On a spiritual level, I know that God is blessing me because I have living, breathing evidence of that every day. Verses such as Psalm 127:3 (quoted above) tell me that children are a heritage and reward from Him. And verses such as Proverb 18:22 ("He who finds a wife, finds a good thing and obtains favor form the LORD") are indisputable proof that God has blessed me. So although I struggle at times questioning if God loves me or if He is upset at me for some reason, I can always look at my family and know that He has blessed me immensely. My wife and children are tangible proof in my life that God loves me. And really, all of the ways that they minister to me on a practical level (that I mentioned above) ultimately come from the God who gave them to me.

We serve a good God who loves us so much. He not only sent His Son to die in our place on the cross to take care of our greatest need. He also blesses us on a practical, everyday level through our spouse and our children. He is a God who loves us in big ways and in small ways: blessing us with every spiritual blessing in Christ, and at the same time blessing us with a simple smile from our youngest child.